Re: Explicit config patch 7.2B4

От Marko Kreen
Тема Re: Explicit config patch 7.2B4
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Dec 17, 2001 at 12:56:53PM -0500, mlw wrote:
> Marko Kreen wrote:
> > On Sun, Dec 16, 2001 at 09:35:58AM -0500, mlw wrote:
> > > In the config file there are two more options:
> > >
> > > datadir = '/u01/postgres'
> > > hbaconfig = '/etc/pgsql/pg_hba.conf'

> I will submit a complete patch that includes pg_ident.conf as well.
>
> Here is a question for the great minds here:
>
> If a user has used the "-C" option, as in:
>
> postmaster -C /etc/pgsql/mydb.conf
>
> Should I then, and first, see if there is a "/etc/pgsql/pg_hba.conf" or
> "/etc/pgsql/pg_ident.conf" and use it as an explicit path?

It should search them only if they are not mentioned in .conf, I
guess.

> How about:
>
> postmaster -C /etc/pgsql
>
> Should I then look for:
>
> /etc/pgsql/postgresql.conf
> /etc/pgsql/pg_hba.conf
> /etc/pgsql/pg_ident.conf

One suggestion to you: try to think how different approaches
look when documented.  User must be able to predict program
behaviour only by looking at docs.  If 3 lines of C add
2 messy paragraphs to docs, then it is probably unnecessary
'feature'.  Also what if I say '-C /etc/pgsql/db.conf' and there
is no pg_hba.conf there.  It should give error, not go secretly
searching it in $PGDATA.

--
marko