Re: 7.2 is slow?

От Tatsuo Ishii
Тема Re: 7.2 is slow?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> > How did you test ?
> >
> > I could do the same test on Dual Pentium III / 800 w/1024 MB
> > with IBM 45 G/7200 IDE disk.
> >
> > So we could compare different platforms as well :)
>
> I could do some testing on a Sun 450 / 4x400 MHz / 4 GB, if that's helpful.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Mathijs
>

> I'll have 4 way and 8 way xeon boxes tues evening that I can test this
> against (though I won't get to test till wed unless I don't sleep)
>
> - Brandon

Thanks to everyone. Here are the methods I used for testings including
generating graphs (actually very simple).

(1) Tweak postgresql.conf to allow large concurrent users. I tested up   to 1024 on AIX, but for the comparison I think
testingup to 128   users is enough. Here are example settings:

   max_connections = 128   shared_buffers = 4096   deadlock_timeout = 100000
   You might want to tweak wal_sync_method to get the best   performance. However this should not affect the comparison
between  7.1 and 7.2.

(2) Run:
   sh bench.sh
   It will invoke pgbench for various concurrent users. So you need   to install pgbench beforehand (it's in
contrib/pgbench.Just type   make install there to install pgbench).

   This will take while.

(3) (2) will generate a file named "bench.data". The file have rows       where the first column is the number of
concurrentusers and       second one is the tps. Rename it to bench-7.2.data.

(4) Do (1) and (2) for PostgreSQL 7.1 and rename bench.data to   bench-7.1.data.

(5) Run plot.sh to see the result graph. Note that plot.sh requires   gnuplot.
---
Tatsuo Ishii