subtable <-> bigtable

От Peter Pilsl
Тема subtable <-> bigtable
Дата
Re: subtable <-> bigtable  ("Andrew G. Hammond" <drew@xyzzy.dhs.org>)
Список pgsql-general
I've a very big table that is read very frequently and I want to split
this table in more subtables with different permissions for
insert/update/delete.  I need to keep the big table too, cause the
reading application can only deal with one table.

So I am thinking about generating a set of update,insert,delete-rules
for each of the 'subtables' that will update,insert,delete the
'maintable'.
 I'm not worried about the needed time, cause write access is very
seldom, but I'm needed about the effort to implement this solution.
First I've to add a new oid-column to establish the relation between
the subtables and the maintable, then I've to create three long rules
for each subtable with long insert,update,delete-commands and in fact
I dont only have 1 table to split but a load.

Is there any construct I can use to form a 'virtual table' that
contains all the subtables or any other method to make my work easier.

I guess my problem is not so uncommon ..

thnx,
peter

ps: and I'd like to win the price for the worth subject in day, but I
really didnt know how to deal with it ...

--
mag. peter pilsl

phone: +43 676 3574035
fax  : +43 676 3546512