Hi all and greatings

От Jean-Paul ARGUDO
Тема Hi all and greatings
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Hi all you hackers :-)

I'm 27 years old. I work on databases purposes in a major french Open Source
company. It is called IDEALX. We made some good stuff in Open Source (like the
1st free P.K.I. , an XML Editor, etc.. in GPL see idealx.org). Personally, I
prefer free software, but I prefer work in an Open Source company rather than a
classical proprietary computer services company... :-/

I just wanted to great all people here for such a good job!!!

I preconize PostgreSQL as much as I can to customers. I made several migrations
from proprietary RDMBS, such as Oracle, DB2 and Ingres, to PostgreSQL (thanks
for Ora2Pg contributors).

I can announce today than a major distributor in France called « AUCHAN » is
migrating all technical NT4 servers (PDC) to linux. Oracle 8.0 is thrashed. My
job is to migrate all Oracle stuff to PostgreSQL. since this group is
international, you'll surely hear about this succes story soon.

I am also Oracle certified DBA, for political/business reasons I don't want to
expose in this list (not the good place for that). I practise Oracle for 6 years
now. I install Oracle under linux only, but only when I've made all my possible
to make ithe customer change his mind... At last, I prefer install Oracle under
linux rather than Oracle under NT. Next steps are to show the customer that
PostgreSQL can do the job ;-)

Every day I'm impressed by PostgreSQL'perfs! I made some benchmarks between
Oracle and PostgreSQL too. I've not studied that much MySQL, PostgreSQL studying
takes all my time, and past experiences of big queryies take minuts to go
freezed me with MySQL....

I'm a C coder too, and I pass all my free time reading PostgreSQL's code and
reading all I can find on this project. I hope I'll reach some sufficient skills
to contribute to this project, in the future. Give me some months ;-)

Waiting this, lemme know where I can help. May be traducing documents? I'm
french born, may be traducing docs in french? I have to contribute too to
techdocs links with giving all my scripts to the cookbook. Mugs and T-Shirts are
quite good looking but I'd like to contribute another way too.

I can give too strong feedback on migrations.

Once again, thanks to all for such good job.

Best regards,

--
Jean-Paul ARGUDO                             IDEALX S.A.S
Consultant bases de données            15-17, av. de Ségur