Re: Need SQL help, I'm stuck.

От wsheldah@lexmark.com
Тема Re: Need SQL help, I'm stuck.
Дата
Список pgsql-general

In just eyeballing the various responses, it looks like the one using DISTINCT
ON manages to avoid using a subquery at all. Would this give it the edge in
performance? I had somehow never noticed the DISTINCT ON syntax before, this
looks very handy.

Also, my first attempt was to put the subquery in the WHERE clause, but I
noticed that several put the subquery in the FROM clause. Does putting it in the
FROM clause just run it once, with the results of the run joined to the outer
tables? It certainly seemed like putting the query in the WHERE clause was
running it for every row. Thanks,

Wes Sheldahl

Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog%svana.org@interlock.lexmark.com> on 12/10/2001
06:33:59 PM

Please respond to Martijn van Oosterhout
      <kleptog%svana.org@interlock.lexmark.com>