Re: Need SQL help, I'm stuck.

От wsheldah@lexmark.com
Тема Re: Need SQL help, I'm stuck.
Дата
Список pgsql-general

I just had to do this, and came up with two different ways; maybe someone here
will come up with an even better one.

My first brute force attempt was:
SELECT C1, C3, C4
FROM T1
WHERE C2 = ( SELECT max(T2.C2) FROM T1 as T2 WHERE T1.C1=T2.C1);

That works, but is very slow because the subselect has to be reprocessed on
every row. I tried optimizing by replacing the subselect with an indexed temp
table:
CREATE TEMP TABLE temp_MaxC2 AS SELECT C1, max(C2) AS maxC2 FROM T1 GROUP BY C1;
CREATE INDEX tmp_idx_C1 ON temp_MaxC2 (maxC2);
SELECT C1, C3, C4 FROM T1, temp_MaxC2 TMP WHERE T1.C1= TMP.C1 and
T1.C2=TMP.maxC2;

By my benchmarks, that ran roughly four orders of magnitude faster. Temp tables
go away automatically at the end of a connection, but I'm running this under
mod_perl with Apache::DBI, which pools the connections, so there's a bit more
code to drop the table and indexes before creating them, and ignoring any errors
if they don't exist in the first place. (Wish there was an "IF EXISTS ... CREATE
..." syntax)

If anyone has a still better approach, I'd love to hear what it is.  Thanks,

--Wes Sheldahl

Chris Albertson <chrisalbertson90278%yahoo.com@interlock.lexmark.com> on
12/10/2001 04:42:54 PM