Re: RedHat6.2 - postgres 7.1.2 lib confusion

От Lamar Owen
Тема Re: RedHat6.2 - postgres 7.1.2 lib confusion
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Tuesday 04 December 2001 10:42 am, colm wrote:
> Basically, I am trying to move from 6.5.3 to 7.1.2 on RedHat 6.2 with
> as little mucking around with RH as possible. I have an upgraded rpm
> (3.0.5) so I was able to fetch the 6.2 rpms from the ftp area and
> kicked off with:

> postgresql-7.1.2-4PGDG.i386.rpm
> postgresql-docs-7.1.2-4PGDG.i386.rpm
> postgresql-libs-7.1.2-4PGDG.i386.rpm
> postgresql-server-7.1.2-4PGDG.i386.rpm

> Immediately calling rpm -Uvh on these gives a dependency
> problem:error: failed dependencies:

> I find this odd because I have libcrypto.so.02 and libssl.. Heres my
> /usr/lib :

Is your ssl from an RPM install of 0.95?  The official RedHat packages were
used on the machine that did that build -- ftp.redhat.de may still have them.
RPM dependencies don't check to see if the file exists in the filesystem --
it checks to see if the required dependency is in the RPM database. This is
why my advice is to either always use RPM's or to never use RPM's.

> Anyway, calling the /etc/rc.d/init.d/postgres start seemed to
> initialise the database but failed on starting the service.. I
> therefore thought I would start postmaster manually (assuming that the
> init script had already called initdb) and got this upon calling
> postmaster -D /usr/share/pgsql :

> postmaster does not find the database system.
>     Expected to find it in the PGDATA directory "/usr/share/pgsql",
>     but unable to open file "/usr/share/pgsql/global/pg_control": No such
> file or directory

The database system isn't there.  It's in /var/lib/pgsql/data.

> Other things: I am running the various manual scripts as user
> postgres. I had a few test databases on my old data dir in
> /var/lib/pgsql but I don't need the data - should I just delete these
> and the backup directory in /usr/share/pgsql? I don't have any
> postgres-related environment variables set.

Remove the old db files -- the initscript in /etc/rc.d/init.d will refuse to
start postmaster with an old db in there.  And that is the core problem.  The
initscript should have told you that when it started -- unless something in
it is broken.....
--
Lamar Owen
WGCR Internet Radio