Re: date formatting and tab-complete patch

От Karel Zak
Тема Re: date formatting and tab-complete patch
Дата
Re: date formatting and tab-complete patch  (Bruce Momjian <pgman@candle.pha.pa.us>)
Список pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Dec 05, 2001 at 10:15:37AM -0600, Manuel Sugawara wrote:
> Karel Zak <zakkr@zf.jcu.cz> writes:
>
> >  We don't directly call locale stuff in PostgreSQL code. It's
> >  encapsulated in PGLC_ (pg_locale.c) API and all is cached, for
> >  this we use localeconv(3) that returns all in one struct.
> >
> >  (What portability of nl_langinfo()? The localeconv() is ANSI C and
> >  POSIX functions.)
>
> localenconv is posix and ANSI C but it doesn't provide such
> functionality (localized month and day names). nl_langinfo conforms to
> "The Single UNIXŽ Specification, Version 2", according to it's manual
> page. The portability isn't an issue as long as you provide means to
> test and avoid it's use in systems that doesn't provide it. I know
> that, at least, Linux and Solaris does, but FreeBSD does not.
But we want FreeBSD and others systems too....

> [...]
> >  Sorry didn't see your original patch (I overlook and delete it in my
> >  IMBOX:-(). But I have a question -- do you solve vice versa
> >  conversion from string to timestamp? The basic feature of to_char()
> >  is that all outputs must be possible parse by to_timestamp() with
> >  same format definition:
>
> No, however the work seems pretty easy.
>
> > test=# select to_char('2001-12-05 00:00:00+01'::timestamp,
> >                                     'fmday dd/month/yyyy');
> >            to_char
> > -----------------------------
> >  wednesday 05/december /2001
> > (1 row)
>
> This example shows another issue. With localized month and day names
> the hardcoded paddings doesn't make sense any more since you may have
> a month name longer than 9 chars -septiembre- as instance.
Magic "9 chars" is nice and popular Oracle feature :-)

> If people is interested I may spend some time working with this.
I already thought about it. You are right it's possible implement,but I mean not is good if some feature anticipate
othermatter ofproject ... but current to_char(float, '9G999D99') output string that depend on locale. Why don't allow
itfor to_chat(timenstamp, ...) too? But don't forget it must be fast, portable and locale stuff mustcached and
encapsulatedin pg_locale.c.The "9 chars" can be used for English locales only.

Comments?       Karel
-- Karel Zak  <zakkr@zf.jcu.cz>http://home.zf.jcu.cz/~zakkr/C, PostgreSQL, PHP, WWW, http://docs.linux.cz,
http://mape.jcu.cz

От: Manuel Sugawara
Сообщение: Re: date formatting and tab-complete patch
От: darcy@druid.net (D'Arcy J.M. Cain)
Сообщение: database system was interrupted at...