Re: History question

От Karel Zak
Тема Re: History question
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Nov 30, 2001 at 10:50:19AM +0100, Michael Meskes wrote:
> While surfing through our web page I found some references about Postgres
> (the original Berkley project) starting as Ingres. Now I wonder whether we
> or let's say the original Postgres project still used Ingres or parts
> thereof.
>
> The original Postgres FAQ say
>
> Q.  What is the connection between POSTGRES and University Ingres?
>
> A.  There is none, aside from Prof. Stonebraker.  There is no
>     compatibility between the two software packages, and the research
>     projects had differing objectives
>
> This certainly sounds like these two are different projects by the same
> Prof.

Ingres      - 1982 -- 1985           - Michael Stonebraker and Eugene Wong at UC-Berkeley           - Ingres =
InteractiveGraphics and Retrieval System           - original developed on PDP-11/45           - original query
languagewas QUEL

Postgres    - 1985(?) - 1994           - based on Ingres           - start with idea make Ingres more OO           -
thefather was again Stonebraker

Postgres95  - 1994-1995              - UC-Berkeley's students Jolly Chen and Andrew Yu

Mariposa    - based on Postgres95           - keynote was specific non realtime replication           - alive this
projectstill?

PostgreSQL  - summer 1996           - OpenSource

Companies:
   * Ingres Corporation (set up Stonebraker?)   * Robert Epstein from UC-Berkeley team set up Sybase   * Paula Hawthorn
fromUC-Berkeley team set up      Illustra Information Technologies Incorporated, now know as     Informix

If I know (from some resources on web) M. Stonebraker work with/onIngres, Illustra and Informix.
By the way on the world exist two original branchs of SQL DB where ispossible found inspiration of all DB:   * System-R
nowknow as DB2     * Ingres (PostgreSQL, Informix)

http://www.nap.edu/readingroom/books/far/ch6.htmlhttp://www.mcjones.org/System_R/SQL_Reunion_95/sqlr95.htmlhttp://db.cs.berkeley.edu/
Do know some other good URL about DB history?
       Karel

-- Karel Zak  <zakkr@zf.jcu.cz>http://home.zf.jcu.cz/~zakkr/C, PostgreSQL, PHP, WWW, http://docs.linux.cz,
http://mape.jcu.cz