Re: Sequence permission suggestion

От Aasmund Midttun Godal
Тема Re: Sequence permission suggestion
Дата
Список pgsql-sql
I cannot argue this on a philosophical level, because I have no idea what the SQL92 papers say or don't say, and all
thedatabase books I have read generally talk very little about permissions. However allowing someone to nextval and
allowingsetval is to radically different things - perhaps comparable to inserting or updating a table, even though
both,technically, are updates.

There are many ways to attack this issue one could have different set of permission names on a sequence than on tables
andviews etc. A functional and practical approach would be to do as you suggested. I would be very interested to know
whatphilosophy there is about security in postgres in general - I have looked around on the lists but I can't find much
discussionon this (except the TODO.privileges) - personally I find it an integral part of a database solution - what
canbe done and who can do it. If anyone can shed any light on this issue, I would greatly appreciate it!

Regards,

Aasmund

On Sun, 25 Nov 2001 20:19:22 -0500, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> "Aasmund Midttun Godal" <postgresql@envisity.com> writes:
>

> It looks like an update to me; in particular, it allows you to determine
> the old state of the sequence, and thus has read+write semantics not
> only write semantics.
>

> This seems to be exceedingly SERIAL-centric thinking; there are other
> uses for sequences than serials.
>
> It might make sense to allow either INSERT or UPDATE permission to
> grant nextval() access, while still requiring UPDATE for setval().
> But I'm not convinced yet ...
>
>             regards, tom lane

Aasmund Midttun Godal

aasmund@godal.com - http://www.godal.com/