Re: RPMs and regression tests (was Re: v7.2b3 packaged...)

От Lamar Owen
Тема Re: RPMs and regression tests (was Re: v7.2b3 packaged...)
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Friday 23 November 2001 06:55 pm, Tom Lane wrote:
> Horst Herb <hherb@malleenet.net.au> writes:
> > I assumed that the purpose of a regression test is to verify that
> > software is doing what it is supposed to do on the system it as
> > installed.

> So it is.  What Lamar is proposing to provide as part of the RPMs is not
> usable for that purpose, at least not easily.  That's why I'm not happy.

It's not being proposed; it's existing behavior for two years.  I'm not happy
with there being failures in the tests, either -- but I _have_ documented the
fact of failures.

> A possible solution is to give pg_regress.sh a third behavior in which
> it relies on an already-installed set of binaries and library files,
> but still initdb's a temporary data area and starts a test postmaster
> therein.

This would be helpful.  While I understand the desire to be able to test a
set of binaries prior to installation (and support such a possibility), this
behavior should be the default, not the other way around.  I shouldn't need
make to run regression.

And I'm willing to do the work.  Unless Peter just wants to do it, I'll see
what I can get working for the 7.3 cycle.

I don't think it will be too hard, from a quick look at make check and
friends.
--
Lamar Owen
WGCR Internet Radio