Re: Bug #518: SERIAL type value not seen in FOREIGN KEY

От Stephan Szabo
Тема Re: Bug #518: SERIAL type value not seen in FOREIGN KEY
Дата
Список pgsql-bugs
On Wed, 21 Nov 2001 pgsql-bugs@postgresql.org wrote:

> Edward Grabczewski (edward.grabczewski@btinternet.com) reports a bug with a severity of 1
>
> Short Description
> SERIAL type value not seen in  FOREIGN KEY
>
> Long Description
> I have defined a table called arch_object which contains a SERIAL type.
> I have defined another table called mm_object which REFERENCES this
> SERIAL type column.
> I insert a value into table arch_object. This generates the next
> value, which is seen using a SELECT statement.
> I try to insert a value into mm_object based on this new value in
> table arch_object and the INSERT is rejected.
> I cannot see why as this value plainly exists in the arch_object table
> and should be picked up.

Foreign keys and inheritance do not currently play terribly nicely
together.  I think the problem is that you're trying to reference
the row in deposit through arch_object which doesn't work because
the foreign keys are currently explicitly referring to only that
table (do a select * from only arch_object;)