Re: A newbie's opinion - postgres NEEDS a Windows

От wsheldah@lexmark.com
Тема Re: A newbie's opinion - postgres NEEDS a Windows
Дата
Список pgsql-general

Let me respond as someone who's done a lot of development in MS Access,
including trying to salvage small department-level apps written either by "power
users" or contractors hired by the "power users."  First off, I think it's a bad
idea for 'power users' to try and write production code for anything serious.
By extension, it's a bad idea to enable these users to do something that's not
really in their best interests.  Now, if you're talking about a way for
professionals to write and install a quick database application, PostgreSQL
could certainly have a role here.  But then I'd say they should scrape up an
extra PC from somewhere, throw Red Hat Linux on it, and write the GUI in their
language of choice, designed to run from everyone's desktop. The GUI could even
be Access if that's what folks want. Anyone who can do the development should be
able to throw Linux on a PC (probably FreeBSD as well, I can't say), and if the
hardware can host an Access database with X users hitting it, than it ought to
be enough for Postgresql as well.

As far as cost, I could be out of date, but last time I looked Microsoft was
still selling Office Pro (which includes Access) for more than they were selling
Office Plain (everything except Access IIRC).  So Postgresql could still be
cheaper than Access, even for a shop that has Office on every desktop, if it
saves them from upgrading to Pro.

Bottom line, I'd rather see the OS distribution folks focus on making the
installation process even easier to get a nice linux or bsd system out of the
box for a small office, running Postgresql, samba, and maybe apache. The main
distributions are doing this. Looks to me like life will keep getting better.
:-)

Wes Sheldahl
P.S. sorry for the topquoting.  I'm a lotus notes victim.  :-(

"Mike Arace" <mikearace%hotmail.com@interlock.lexmark.com> on 11/20/2001
02:05:15 PM