Re: Storage Location Patch Proposal for V7.3

От Jim Buttafuoco
Тема Re: Storage Location Patch Proposal for V7.3
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Mark,

This is why I choose to use the term "LOCATION" instead of "TABLESPACE"
.  A "LOCATION" is a directory just like Postgresql has today.  All the
patch would add is the ability to put object under different "LOCATION"
for the same database.

Jim

> Tom Lane wrote:
> >
> > "Jim Buttafuoco" <jim@buttafuoco.net> writes:
> > > I propose to add a default data location, index and temporary
locations
> > > to the pg_shadow table to allow a DBA to specify locations for
each
> > > user when they create databases, tables and indexes or need
temporary
> > > disk storage (either for temporary tables or sort files).
> >
> > Have you read any of the previous discussions about tablespaces?
> > This seems to be tablespaces with an off-the-cuff syntax.  I'd
> > suggest taking a hard look at Oracle's tablespace facility and
> > seeing how closely we want to duplicate that.
>
> Sorry I missed the conversation about tablespaces. One of the reasons
I think
> Postgres is so usable is because it does not require the use of
tablespace
> files. If by tablespace, you mean to declare a directory on a device
as a
> tablespace, then cool. If you want to create tablespace "files" ala
Oracle, you