Re: functions vs embedded SQL

От wsheldah@lexmark.com
Тема Re: functions vs embedded SQL
Дата
Список pgsql-general

I'm pretty sure that Postgresql does NOT save the query plan with stored
procedures or views, so there's no performance gain from that.  There is also
never a performance loss from running a stored procedure with a query plan
that's no longer optimal, as sometimes happens with MS SQL Server.  (Or used to
as of version 7.0 anyway...)  Any performance gains from stored procedures in
Postgresql would come from making fewer trips between the server and client, and
from anything done in them that happens to run faster than it would on the
client.  There are also other more general reasons to use stored procs, but you
seem to be familiar with them. HTH,

Wes Sheldahl

"Culley Harrelson" <Culley_Harrelson%pgn.com@interlock.lexmark.com> on
11/06/2001 04:18:18 PM