Re: Serious performance problem

От Denis Perchine
Тема Re: Serious performance problem
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Tuesday 30 October 2001 21:24, Alex Pilosov wrote:

> The feature you are looking for is called 'index coverage'. Unfortunately,
> it is not easy to implement with Postgresql, and it is one of few
> outstanding 'nasties'. The reason you can't do it is follows: Postgres
> uses MVCC, and stores 'when' the tuple is alive inside the tuple. So, even
> if index contains all the information you need, you still need to access
> main table to check if the tuple is valid.
>
> Possible workaround: store tuple validity in index, that way, a lot more
> space is wasted (16 more bytes/tuple/index), and you will need to update
> all indices when the base table is updated, even if indexed information
> have not changed.

What is the problem to implement this index as a special index type for
people who need this? Just add a flag keyword to index creation clause.

Actually I would like to hear Tom's opinion on this issue. This issue is of
my interest too.

Also I saw sometime ago in hackers that there is a patch implementing this...
Or I am wrong here?

--
Denis