Re: Deadlock? idle in transaction

От Michael Meskes
Тема Re: Deadlock? idle in transaction
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Oct 11, 2001 at 01:09:25PM -0700, Stephan Szabo wrote:
> Well, it'd be likely to get in this state if the first transaction grabbed
> any write locks and then sat on them without committing or doing any more
> commands, since the vacuum would wait on that and the rest of the
> transactions will probably wait on the vacuum.  Is that a possible
> situation?

Maybe. The first transaction should not sit on any lock, but I have to dig
through the sources to be sure it really does not. Also I wonder if this
could happen through normal operation:

Task 1:

begin
acquire lock in table A
acquire lock in table B
commit

Task 2 (vacuum):

lock table B
lock table A

Could this force the situation too?

If so the easy workaround would be to run vacuum when there is no other
process accessing the DB.

Michael
--
Michael Meskes