Re: ALTER RENAME and indexes

От Brent Verner
Тема Re: ALTER RENAME and indexes
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 07 Oct 2001 at 04:03 (-0700), Stephan Szabo wrote:

| On Sat, 6 Oct 2001, Brent Verner wrote:
|
| > On 06 Oct 2001 at 20:13 (-0400), Rod Taylor wrote:
| > | Of course, in 7.1 foreign key constraints become rather confused when
| > | you rename columns on them.
| > 1) modify this tgargs value to reflect the modified column name(s).
| > 2) modify <whatever uses these args> to use the oid instead of
| >    the column names, and modify CreateTrigger to reflect this change..
| >
| > #2 seems to be the most bulletproof approach, so I'm looking
| > into hacking this up right now.  Any comments would be much
| > appreciated about any (better) ways to fix this problem.
|
| #2 also requires changes to dump/restore stuff, since AFAIK
| it currently dumps create constraint trigger statements and the
| oids won't be known for the restore, but this is probably a good
| idea in general.

After looking this over for a couple of hours and seeing how many
places would have to be touched, combined with the pg_dump breakage
makes #2 an unreasonable task for me to complete before real life
stops my party.  Plus, being this close to beta, this fix/hack
might actually get into 7.2, since it will be a really minor
addition to rename.c.

Thanks for alerting me to pg_dump's dependency on this stuff :-).

cheers. Brent

to share his music with anyone is a beautiful thing."  -- Duane Allman