Re: your mail

От Jason Tishler
Тема Re: your mail
Дата
Список pgsql-cygwin
Shandrila,

In the future, please post to pgsql-cygwin@postgresql.org instead of
sending private email, so others can benefit too.

On Thu, Sep 27, 2001 at 10:34:44AM -0400, Shandrila V.Janardhan wrote:
> I am interested in using PostgreSQL for our database requirement.
>
> I saw the documentation and have understood that PostgreSQl requires unix
> for the server. But client can be installed on windows.
>
> But I am not sure if that is right. Please could you clarify this for me.

The above is correct but, IIRC, the documentation is a little misleading.
The client can run as a native Win32 application.  On the other hand,
the server requires a Posix interface and cannot run directly against
Win32.  However, the server can run on Windows but only under Cygwin
(www.cygwin.com) -- a Posix emulation layer.

In fact, if you install Cygwin, then a pre-built PostgreSQL 7.1.3 will
automatically being installed.  Please see the README for more details:

    /usr/doc/Cygwin/postgresql-7.1.3.README

Thanks,
Jason