Re: New To PostgreSQL

От Brent R. Matzelle
Тема Re: New To PostgreSQL
Дата
Список pgsql-general
--- Tom Ince <tince@acsinc-nj.com> wrote:
> I am attempting to convert an database currently running on
> Informix to
> a free database on Linux (RedHat 6.1).  I have a question.....
>
> I learned that MySQL, does not maintain foreign keys, which
> affects me
> because I need to use things like CHECK in the CREATE TABLE
> statements.
> So thats why I am not trying PostgreSQL.  Does PostgreSQL
> support
> foreign keys?

Yes.

>  Are there any other quirks I might run into as
> far as
> SQL syntax goes?

The syntax is very ANSI SQL 92 compliant.  I have projects which
can interchangebly utilize PostgreSQL, MSSQL, and MySQL with
little changes.

The only thing that might require a change in code is that the
PostgreSQL LIKE is case-sensitive, unlike other databases.  You
have to change your queries to ILIKE.

Brent