Bug #466: Unable to remove /root/tmp/initdb:xxxx.xxx

От pgsql-bugs@postgresql.org
Тема Bug #466: Unable to remove /root/tmp/initdb:xxxx.xxx
Дата
Список pgsql-bugs
Vladimir Georgiev (vladimirg@rambler.bg) reports a bug with a severity of 3

Short Description
Unable to remove /root/tmp/initdb:xxxx.xxx

Long Description
I've tried to follow the detailed description in INSTALL as for fresh install as long as it was possible.

0)My Linux box: Mandrake 8.0 for i586. Any RPMS concerning any RDBMSs were intentionally NOT installed during the
Mandrakeinstallation. PostgreSQL 7.1.3 source unpacked into /usr/src/postgresql-7.1.3. The root user enters this
directory.Then:

1)
root# ./configure --with-perl --enable-odbc --enable-syslog
Result: Worked fine

2)
root# gmake
Result: Worked fine

3)
root# gmake install
Result: Worked fine

4)
root# adduser -r -d /dyn/pgsql/home postgres
Result: Failed. User postgres already exists.

5)
root# chown -R postgres.postgres *
Result: Worked fine

6)
user root edits /etc/ld.so.conf adding the line:
/usr/local/pgsql
Save the file and close it.

7)
root# ldconfig
Result: Worked fine

8)
user root edits /etc/profile adding
PATH=$PATH:/usr/local/pgsql/bin
export $PATH
MANPATH=$MANPATH:/usr/local/pgsql/man
export $MANPATH

9)
logout/login
Result: System variables set fine

10)
root# mkdir /dyn/pgsql
root# mkdir /dyn/pgsql/data
root# mkdir /dyn/pgsql/home
root# chown -R postgres.postgres /dyn/pgsql
Result: Worked fine

11)
root# usermod -d /dyn/pgsql/home
Result: Worked fine

12)
root# su postgres
Result: Worked fine

13)
postgres$ /usr/local/pgsql/bin/initdb -D /dyn/pgsql/data
Result: most of the script runs ok. At some point it said:
....... unable to remove /root/tmp/initdb:xxx.xxx
where "xxx.xxx" are some numbers
Result:Failed
Observation: There are files created in /dyn/pgsql/data

14)
postgres$ /usr/local/pgsql/bin/pg_ctl -D /dyn/pgsql/data -l /dyn/pgsql/home/server.log start
Result: Failed. It said: Unable to remove /root/tmp/.....
The server did not started.

======================================
How did I workarounded the problem
======================================

1) I've opened /dyn/pgsql/data/postgresql.conf
2) I've Uncommented the line
#unix_socket_directory=''
so it became this:
unix_socket_directory='/tmp'
3) I've saved the so edited postgresql.conf.
4)
postgres$ /usr/local/pgsql/bin/pg_ctl -D /dyn/pgsql/data -l /dyn/pgsql/home/server.log start

RESULT: NOW IT WORKS FINE :-)

WHY do I think it's a bug
Because I've followed the commands order recommended by the INSTALL file as long as it was possible.
I've installed already about 4 prior versions of PostgreSQL, every time working this same way and never had this
problem,every time working on some Mandrake distribution.

Sample Code

No file was uploaded with this report