Re: Index location patch for review

От Jim Buttafuoco
Тема Re: Index location patch for review
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
just change the work tablespace below to location and that is exactly
what this patch is trying to do.  You can think of the LOCATION and
INDEX_LOCATION provided to the create database command as the default
storage locations for these objects.  In the future, I want to enable
the DBA to specify LOCATIONS any object just like Oracle.  I am also
planning on a pg_locations table and "create location" command which
will do what the current initlocation script does and more.

Jim

> I am very new to this mailinglist so I apologize if I start talking
early but
> I've been working as a sysadmin and that kind of problems for a long
while
> now and my suggestion is that it is a start but I think that we should
aim a
> little higher than this and use something more like the Oracle
approach
> instead. Where they introduce an abstraction layer in the form of a
> tablespace. And this tablespace is then referenced from the create
table or
> create index instead.
> eg:
> table -> tablespace -> path to physical storage
> index -> tablespace -> path to physical storage
>
> Advantages:
> Changes can be done to storage whithout need to change create scripts
for db,
> tables and so on.
> Designers can specify in which tablespace tables/indexes should reside
based
> on usage.
> Sysadmins can work with tablespaces and change paths without changing
> anything in the database/table/index definitions.
>
> The alternative is symlinks to distribute the load and that is not a
pretty
> sight dba-wise.
>
> Hope you can bare with me on this, since I think it is an very
important
> issue.
> I'm unfortunately not a fast coder yet (but I'm getting faster :-) ).
But I