Re: Question about todo item

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: Question about todo item
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
I have added to TODO:

BINARY DATA       o -Add non-large-object binary field (already exists -- bytea)       o -Make binary interface for
TOASTcolumns (base64)       o Improve vacuum of large objects (/contrib/vacuumlo)       o Add security checking for
largeobjects       o Make file in/out interface for TOAST columns, similar to large object         interface (force
out-of-linestorage and no compression)       o Auto-delete large objects when referencing row is deleted

> Can this be added to the TODO list? (actually put back on the TODO list)
> Along with this email thread?
>
> I feel that it is very important to have BLOB support in postgres that
> is similar to what the commercial databases provide.  This could either
> mean fixing the current implementation or adding additional capabilities
> to toasted columns.
>
> The major problem with the current LargeObject implementation is that
> when the row containing the LargeObject is deleted the LargeObject
> isn't.  This can be a useful feature under some circumstances, but it
> isn't how other databases handle BLOBs.  Thus porting code from other
> databases is a challenge.  While it is true that this can be worked
> around through triggers, I don't like the manual nature of the workarounds.
>
> thanks,
> --Barry

> >>I am confused how pg_largeobject is involved?
> >>

> > s/pg_largeobject/toast_table_for_relation/ ... sorry about that ...
> >

> >>Don't forget compression of TOAST columns.  How do you fseek/read/write
> >>in there?
> >>

> > Well, you can *do* it, just don't expect it to be fast.  The
> > implementation would have to read or write most of the value, not just
> > the segment you wanted.  A person who actually expected to use this
> > stuff would likely want to disable compression on a column he wanted
> > random access within.
> >
> > Hmm ... that provides an idea.  We could easily add some additional
> > 'attstorage' settings that say *all* values of a column must be forced
> > out-of-line (with or without allowing compression), regardless of size.
> > Then, open_toast_object would work reliably on such a column.  One
> > possible user API to such an infrastructure is to invent BLOB and CLOB
> > datatypes, which are just like bytea and text except that they force the
> > appropriate attstorage value.  Ugly as sin, ain't it ... but I bet it
> > could be made to work.
> >
> > Okay, there's your idea.  Now, who can do better?
> >
> >             regards, tom lane

> > http://www.postgresql.org/search.mpl

Pennsylvania19026