Re: Question about todo item

От Jan Wieck
Тема Re: Question about todo item
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane wrote:
> > I agree we should have it, but I thought the problem was that we
> > couldn't come up with an API that worked.
>
> AFAIR, no one's really tried yet.  I do not recall any proposals
> getting shot down ...
   One  of  the problems I saw, and that's probably why we don't   have a proposal yet,  is,  that  the  size  of  the
data is   recorded  in  the  toast reference held in the main tuple. If   you later open the toast value for writing,
you'llchange the   size,  but  you'd  need  to  change it in the main tuple too,   what'd require a regular update on
the main  tuple,  what  I   don't think we want to have here.

   The  other  problem  is,  if  you insert a tuple containing a   small value (e.g.  empty string), it'll not get
toasted and   you  can't force it to get. Later you open it for writing and   pump a CD-image into. How do we convert
the existing  empty   text datum into a toast reference in the main tuple?

Jan