Re: OID wraparound (was Re: pg_depend)

От Daniel Kalchev
Тема Re: OID wraparound (was Re: pg_depend)
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
>>>Bruce Momjian said:
[...]> > No, we won't, because OID wrap is an issue already for any long-uptime> > installation.  (64-bit XIDs are not
areal practical answer either,> > btw.)> > Have we had a wraparound yet?

Just for the record, I had an OID overflow on production database (most middleware crashed mysteriously but no severe
dataloss) about a month ago. This was on 7.0.2 which probably had some bug ... preventing real wrap to happen. No new
allocations(INSERTs that used autoincrementing sequences) were possible in most tables.

Anyway, I had to dump/restore the database - several hours downtime. The database is not very big in size (around 10 GB
inthe data directory), but contains many objects (logs) and many objects are inserted/deleted from the database - in my
opinionat not very high rate. Many tables are also created/dropped during processing.

What is worrying is that this database lived about half a year only...

In my opinion, making OIDs optional would help things very much. In my case, I don't need OIDs for log databases.
Perhapsit would additionally help if OIDs are separately increasing for each database - not single counter for the
entirePostgreSQL installation.

Regards,
Daniel