Re: MySQL Gemini code

От ncm@zembu.com (Nathan Myers)
Тема Re: MySQL Gemini code
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Jul 18, 2001 at 11:45:54AM -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> >     And this press release
> >
> >         http://www.nusphere.com/releases/071601.htm
> On a more significant note, I hear the word "fork" clearly suggested
> in that text.  It is almost like MySQL AB GPL'ed the MySQL code and
> now they may not be able to keep control of it.

Anybody is free to fork MySQL or PostgreSQL alike.  The only difference
is that all published MySQL forks must remain public, where PostgreSQL
forks need not.  MySQL AB is demonstrating their legal right to keep as
much control as they chose, and NuSphere will lose if it goes to court.

The interesting event here is that since NuSphere violated the license
terms, they no longer have any rights to use or distribute the MySQL AB
code, and won't until they get forgiveness from MySQL AB.  MySQL AB
would be within their rights to demand that the copyright to Gemini be
signed over, before offering forgiveness.

If Red Hat forks PostgreSQL, nobody will have any grounds for complaint.
(It's been forked lots of times already, less visibly.)

Nathan Myers
ncm@zembu.com

Сообщение: Re: OID wraparound (was Re: pg_depend)
Сообщение: Re: OID wraparound (was Re: pg_depend)