Re: Rule recompilation

От Jan Wieck
Тема Re: Rule recompilation
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane wrote:
> Jan Wieck <JanWieck@Yahoo.com> writes:
>
> >     In the PL/pgSQL case it *might* be possible. But is it  worth
> >     it?
>
> Yes.  If we're not going to do it right, I think we needn't bother to do
> it at all.  "Restart your backend" is just as good an answer, probably
> better, than "issue a RECOMPILE against everything affected by whatever
> you changed".  If the system can't keep track of that, how likely is it
> that the user can?
   Stop!
   We're talking about two different things here.
   Recompilation  (or  better  fixing  Oid  references in system   catalog entries) is required to correct a system
catalogthat   got  inconsistent due to dropping and recreating a particular   object.

   Regeneration of runtime things like saved SPI plans might  be   related  to  that, but it's not exactly the same.
Thatsurely   is corrected  by  restarting  the  backend.  But  you  cannot   correct a broken view with a backend
restart,can you?

   And  pardon,  but  PL/Tcl can save SPI plans. At least it had   that capability when I wrote the language handler,
so if  it   cannot any more WHO DID THAT?

Jan