Re: Solaris source code

От Mathijs Brands
Тема Re: Solaris source code
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Jul 05, 2001 at 02:03:31PM -0700, Naomi Walker allegedly wrote:
> At 04:30 PM 7/5/01 -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> >I have purchased the Solaris source code from Sun for $80.  (I could
> >have downloaded it for free after faxing them an 11 page contract, but I
> >decided I wanted the CD's.)  See the slashdot story at:
> >
> >         http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=01/06/30/1224257&mode=thread
> >
> >My hope is that I can use the source code to help debug Solaris
> >PostgreSQL problems.  It includes source for the kernel and all user
> >programs. The code is similar to *BSD kernels.  It is basically Unix
> >SvR4 with Sun's enhancements.  It has both AT&T and Sun copyrights on
> >the files.
>
> Bruce,
>
> We are about to roll out PostgreSQL on Solaris, and I am interested in any
> Solaris specific gotcha's.  Do you have some specifics in mind, or was this
> just general preventive maintenance type steps?

PostgreSQL 7.1 fails the regression tests when using a UNIX socket,
which is faster than a TCP/IP socket (when both the client and the
server are running on the same machine). We're running a few small
PostgreSQL databases on Solaris and we're going to implement a bigger
one in the near future. If you connect via TCP/IP sockets, you should be
safe. We're using JDBC to connect to the database and JDBC always uses
a TCP/IP socket. So far we haven't run into any real problems, although
PostgreSQL did crash once, for unknown reasons (probably becase someone
was messing with it).

Not really helpful, I guess. Doing some testing of your own is highly
recommended ;)

Cheers,

Mathijs