Re: cascading delete - recursivity

От Jan Wieck
Тема Re: cascading delete - recursivity
Дата
Список pgsql-sql
Postgresql wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a table of categories (it's pseudo-sql...) :
>
> CATEGORIES
> (
>     id_category PRIMARY KEY,
>     id_category_parent (FOREIGN KEY ? CONSTRAINT ??) ,
>     cat_text
> )
>
> There is recursivity : id_category_parent is -1 (= no parent cat) or the
> id_category of a category in this table.
> What is the SQL statements to create such a table so that when you delete a
> category, all sub-categories
> are automatically deleted ?
> I've tried many things like CONSTRAINT... but the query fails !
   You  can  only  use  the  special  NULL value to suppress the   foreign key check on those rows that  don't  have  a
parent.   Then it'd be

       CREATE TABLE categories (           id_category          serial PRIMARY KEY,           id_category_parent
integer,
           FOREIGN KEY (id_category_parent)               REFERENCES categories (id_category)               ON DELETE
CASCADE      );

Jan