Re: trying to summarize into a new table by time...

От Larry Rosenman
Тема Re: trying to summarize into a new table by time...
Дата
Список pgsql-sql
* Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> [010602 09:59]:
> > One more question, will the sum() on a bigint column cast to float
> > happen in floating point?
>
> Yes.  You don't really need that though.  These days there are only
> two flavors of sum(): float8 accumulator (for float8 and float4 inputs)
> and numeric accumulator (for everything else).  You don't need to worry
> about overflow anymore.  float8 is faster if you don't mind loss of
> precision...
Since I'm looking at order of magnitude type comparisons, the float8
is fine.  I don't need to know down to the byte, just comparisons
between orders of magnitudes.  ISP's move a *LOT* of data :-)

LER

>             regards, tom lane

В списке pgsql-sql по дате отправления:

От: Tom Lane
Сообщение: Re: trying to summarize into a new table by time...
От: Alex Pilosov
Сообщение: Re: trying to summarize into a new table by time...