inheritance

От will trillich
Тема inheritance
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Tue, Apr 24, 2001 at 04:14:10PM -0400, Joel Burton wrote:
> On Tue, 24 Apr 2001, will trillich wrote:
> > BUT -- if this is a 1:1 relation, and customers ALWAYS have
> > addresses, and addresses ALWAYS have customers, then just make
> > the sucker into one table and you're done.
>
> If this is a 1:1 relationship, and you don't mind wandering slightly
> afield of the SQL standard, inheritance is a good way to go, too.

okay. is there a way to have a function defined to accept an
inherited record type, that'll work in an inheritee-record?

    create table basic (
        v1 int4,
        v2 int4
    );
    create table dat (
        who varchar(30),
        id serial
    ) inherits (basic);
    create function calc(basic) returns int4 as '
        select $1.v1 + $1.v2
    ' language 'sql';

    select calc(dat);
    select calc(basic*);

is there a way?

--
don't visit this page. it's bad for you. take my expert word for it.
http://www.salon.com/people/col/pagl/2001/03/21/spring/index1.html

will@serensoft.com