Re: Truncation of object names

От ncm@zembu.com (Nathan Myers)
Тема Re: Truncation of object names
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Apr 13, 2001 at 04:27:15PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> ncm@zembu.com (Nathan Myers) writes:
> > We are thinking about working around the name length limitation
> > (encountered in migrating from other dbs) by allowing "foo.bar.baz"
> > name syntax, as a sort of rudimentary namespace mechanism.
>
> Have you thought about simply increasing NAMEDATALEN in your
> installation?  If you really are generating names that aren't unique
> in 31 characters, that seems like the way to go ...

We discussed that, and will probably do it (too).

One problem is that, having translated "foo.bar.baz" to "foo_bar_baz",
you have a problem when you encounter "foo.bar_baz" in subsequent code.
I.e., a separate delimiter character helps, even when name length isn't
an issue.  Also, accepting the names as they appear in the source code
already means the number of changes needed is much smaller, even when
you don't have true schema support.

Nathan Myers
ncm@zembu.com

Сообщение: Re: Truncation of object names
Сообщение: Re: Truncation of object names