Re: Address already in use?

От Victor Ivanov
Тема Re: Address already in use?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Thu, Apr 12, 2001 at 11:20:29PM -0400, Justin S. wrote:
> Hi Everyone,
>
> Alright, I've installed PostgreSQL 7.0.3 succesfully, but I still have a
> problem. When I try starting the PostgreSQL server, using the following
> command:
>
> /usr/local/pgsql/bin/postmaster -D /usr/local/pgsql/data
>
> I get the following error:
>
> FATAL: StreamServerPort: bind() failed: Address already in use
>         Is another postmaster already running on that port?
>         If not, remove socket node (/tmp/.s.PGSQL.5432) and retry.
>
> Anyone know how to fix this? Thanks.

This happens if postgresql was not able to quit the normal way IMO. Delete
the socket and run it again.

You need to clean /tmp when the system boots. Most system have this option
(on FreeBSD put clear_tmp_enable="YES" in /etc/rc.conf). If you can't find
it add
rm -f /tmp/.s.PGSQL.*
somewhere in the boot scripts as a workaround. You can even put it in the
PGSQL starting script, but it's not a quite good idea...

--
Players win and winners play
Have a lucky day

Вложения