Re: linux/bsd

От Chris Jones
Тема Re: linux/bsd
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Mon, Apr 09, 2001 at 11:00:04AM +1200, Richard Boyes wrote:

> My question is to what operating system would be a better
> one to use for postgres. ie linux/bsd.

As far as PG is concerned, it doesn't really matter; PG will run very
nicely on any unix.  In my experience, Sun's machines have better I/O
than anybody's PCs, but you pay a price for that.  Also, PG will
probably run just fine on a cheap commodity PC -- an expensive PC
should do even better.

You should probably choose your OS based on the OS itself, not on PG.
Basically, what are you going to be able to manage most effectively?
For me, the clear choice is NetBSD.  For others, the choice is
different.  But the reliability of your database is going to depend on
the reliability of your OS, which is going to depend (partially) on
how familiar and comfortable you are with it.

Chris

--
Chris Jones                                    SRI International, Inc.

Вложения