Re: Maybe a Bug, maybe bad SQL

От Louis-David Mitterrand
Тема Re: Maybe a Bug, maybe bad SQL
Дата
Список pgsql-sql
On Wed, Mar 21, 2001 at 10:49:41AM -0500, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > Note also that it's a mailing list cultural thing: many lists operate
> > in a 'post only to the list' mode. Those of us on the pgsql lists do the
> > 'list and person' thing, in response to direct questions, for the reasons
> > Bruce and D'Arcy point out. Note that by knowing the reasons, one may
> > then make informed decisions, like my posting of this message directly
> > to the list only, since it's a peripheral issue and multiple people
> > are involved in the conversation. It's not uncommon, when debugging
> > a particular problem, or discussing implementation of a new feature,
> > to have a thread of discussion by CC'ing three or four developers,
> > plus the HACKERS list for archiving and general interest.
>
> My mailer would have trouble sending just to the list and not to both.
> To do list-only, the mailing list software would have to set the
> Reply-To to be to the list.

Sorry, but what an inappropriate answer coming from an IT professionnal.
You MUA doesn't support answering to a mailing list? Why not consider
upgrading to a modern MUA that _does_ support that functionality? Are we
condemned to use obsolete software? Are we stuck in old habits for ever?

> Marc had it set up that way a few times, but most didn't like it.  In
> fact, the big problem with that setup is that you can't easily reply
> just to the poster.

The "reply-to: list"? Oh, I see: that one almost made it on the pgsql-*
lists... *shiver*

As if subject mangling and annoying footers were not enough.

> Most mailers have a 'reply to user' and 'reply to group' mode.  Reply to
> user goes only to the poster, while reply-to group goes to both.

Hint: http://www.mutt.org

I wish people could also lose the preaching in their signatures.
1) what does "christ" mean to muslim or hindu or atheist pgsql users?
2) it might be offensive to them
3) why not talk about what we have in common (hint: databases), not the
most divisive issue in the history of humanity: religion
4) were I Jesus, I wouldn't appreciate being held as a mere "backup" ;-)

В списке pgsql-sql по дате отправления: