Re: Inheritance and referential integritry in 7.0.3

От Oliver Elphick
Тема Re: Inheritance and referential integritry in 7.0.3
Дата
Список pgsql-general
"Alastair D'Silva" wrote:
  >I am using PostgreSQL 7.0.3 and have the following schema:
  >
  >CREATE TABLE "products" (
  >There are various other tables inheriting from "products".
  >There is also another table which references products:
  >Now, if I insert a row into one of "products" child tables (eg, products1),
  >then try to reference it in "properties", it does not work as the product id
  >is only visible if products* is the target table. Changing the REFERENCES
  >target to product* products a syntax error, and creating a view as the
  >REFERENCES target is not allowed.
  >
  >Short of creating another table which stores all product ids, is there a
  >simple way to make this work?

No.

I have proposed that this should be allowed, but it is not possible
at the moment.

You can refer directly to a descendant table, of course.

     "Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything,
      by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, present
      your requests to God. And the peace of God, which
      transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts
      and your minds in Christ Jesus."   Philippians 4:6,7