Re: FWD: OID

От GH
Тема Re: FWD: OID
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Fri, Apr 06, 2001 at 09:11:38PM -0400, some SMTP stream spewed forth:
> I didn't get a response on my message, so I thought I would try again.
>
> 1.  A large object has the data type OID.  What then, is the data type of the
> instance object identifier?  Is it an int4?

I believe it is of type 'oid' which is (I believe) equivalent to an int4.

> 2.  How would I create a table such the following select statement will return
> the instance object indentifier along with the other columns:
>
> SELECT * FROM table_name

You would have to create a column of type 'oid' and insert manually
(through the insert query) the 'instance identifier' (whatever that is, oid?)
into that column. This would be redundant, the same as the oid column.

> Up to this point, I can only retrieve the object instance identifier by doing
> the following:
>
> SELECT oid,* FROM table_name

Okay, so...?

> 3.  Suppose, from tableA, I wanted a column that references an instance from
> tableB.  I would like this reference to contain the instance object identifier
> of the instance from tableB.  What data type do I use for this column?  I
> suppose this is related to question 1.

'oid'

> Thanks for the help.

I only hope that my information is correct.
(That not only would be, but is, embarrasing.)

dan