Re: Postgres startup

От Dave Edmondson
Тема Re: Postgres startup
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Tue, Apr 03, 2001 at 09:38:48AM -0400, Belcher, Jim wrote:
> Hello,
>
> We are using version 7.0, and I have noticed that quite often,
> postgres fails to start(as much as 50%).  When it does start
> everything seems fine.  Any ideas as to why this is occuring.
>
> All installation is done from the downloaded rpms, so nothing
> is custom.

I've modified the PostgreSQL startup file to include this:

if [ -x /tmp/.s.PGSQL.* ]
    then
    rm /tmp/.s.PGSQL.*
fi

This is for a FreeBSD install, so something may be different, though I
doubt it.

If Postgres wasn't shut down gracefully, this will remove its old lockfile.
(I've noticed Postgres doesn't log anything about this, it just refuses to
start). Also, clearing /tmp on startup might also do the trick. So, if
you were having trouble with Postgres not coming up after system crashes,
this might be the problem. (This is what fixed it for me).

--
David Edmondson <david@jlc.net>               http://www.landofsunshine.net
"A metaphysician is a blind man in a dark room looking for a black cat that