Re: How do I...

От Paul Tomblin
Тема Re: How do I...
Дата
Re: How do I...  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
Список pgsql-general
How do I compare a char (bpchar?) to a varchar?  I tried using "=", and I
got:

    waypoint=> select b.id, a.icao,a.faa_host_id from dafif_arpt a, waypoint b
    where b.id = a.icao;
    ERROR:  Unable to identify an operator '=' for types 'varchar' and 'bpchar'
            You will have to retype this query using an explicit cast

Why isn't this working?  Can somebody explain how to rephrase this?  It
doesn't work even if I try to cast the varchar to bpchar:

    waypoint=> select b.id, a.icao,a.faa_host_id from dafif_arpt a, waypoint b
    where b.id::char = a.icao;
    ERROR:  Unable to identify an operator '=' for types 'varchar' and 'bpchar'
            You will have to retype this query using an explicit cast

Or the bpchar to varchar:

    waypoint=> select b.id, a.icao,a.faa_host_id from dafif_arpt a, waypoint b
    where b.id = a.icao::varchar;
    ERROR:  Unable to identify an operator '=' for types 'varchar' and 'bpchar'
            You will have to retype this query using an explicit cast

Oh, and if I try and cast them both to varchar, the thing freaks out:

    waypoint=> select b.id, a.icao,a.faa_host_id from dafif_arpt a, waypoint b
    where b.id::varchar = a.icao::varchar;
            before or while processing the request.
    We have lost the connection to the backend, so further processing is
    impossible.  Terminating.

--
Paul Tomblin <ptomblin@xcski.com>, not speaking for anybody
"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World

Сообщение: Re: Ok, why isn't it using *this* index?
Сообщение: Re: Ok, why isn't it using *this* index?