Re: [HACKERS] Re: pgmonitor and Solaris

От Mathijs Brands
Тема Re: [HACKERS] Re: pgmonitor and Solaris
Дата
Список pgsql-ports
On Wed, Mar 28, 2001 at 05:33:05PM -0500, Bruce Momjian allegedly wrote:
> Sure 'ps -U' will work, but it was reported that on Solaris, plain ps
> can't show the postgres status display, while ucb/ps can.  I don't need
> specific columns.  What I need is the postgres status parameters, and if
> possible, a user restriction to ps for performance reasons.

My mistake. Have a look at this snippet from the ps manpage:

|      args  The command with all its arguments as  a  string.  The
|            implementation  may  truncate  this value to the field
|            width;  it  is  implementation-dependent  whether  any
|            further  truncation  occurs. It is unspecified whether
|            the string represented is a version  of  the  argument
|            list  as it was passed to the command when it started,
|            or is a version of the arguments as they may have been
|            modified  by  the  application.   Applications  cannot
|            depend on being able to modify their argument list and
|            having that modification be reflected in the output of
|            ps.  The Solaris implementation limits the  string  to
|            80  bytes;  the  string is the version of the argument
|            list as it was passed to the command when it started.

Note the last line...

The following must also seem familiar ;)

| The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@hub.org> writes:
| > On Wed, 29 Apr 1998, Bruce Momjian wrote:
| >> No reason for the exec().  I believe the only advantage is that it gives
| >> us a separate process name in the 'ps' listing.  I have looked into
| >> simulating this.
| >     Under FreeBSD, there is:
| > setproctitle(3) - set the process title for ps 1
| >     This isn't available under Solaris though, last I checked...
|
| Setting the process title from C is messy, but there is a readily
| available reference.  The Berkeley sendmail distribution includes code
| to emulate setproctitle on practically every platform.  See conf.h and
| conf.c in any recent sendmail release.  Warning: it's grotty enough to
| make a strong man weep.  Don't read near mealtime ;-)
|
|             regards, tom lane

Regards,

Mathijs
--
It's not that perl programmers are idiots, it's that the language
rewards idiotic behavior in a way that no other language or tool has

Сообщение: Re: [HACKERS] Re: pgmonitor and Solaris
Сообщение: Re: [HACKERS] Re: pgmonitor and Solaris