Re: Spinlocks on SGI's

От bruc@stone.congenomics.com (Robert E. Bruccoleri)
Тема Re: Spinlocks on SGI's
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Dear Mathijs,

> > Also, the GNU compiler systems works poorly on SGI's. In this
> > environment, you need to stick to the SGI provided compilers. Once you
> > get used to them, they work fairly well.
>
> The problem is that SGI wants a couple of hundred dollars for it :(

Unfortunately, the GNU compiler developers have not put much effort
into support for the SGI platform over the years, and therefore,
it's not a good alternative for the SGI compiler system. For PostgreSQL,
we need to provide the right advice on how to build it so it works well.

BTW, SGI is distributing its compilers for Linux/Intel under an open
source license. Depending on the progress of Intel chips versus MIPS
chips, the cost issue of the compilers on SGI's will eventually
disappear.

Regards, Bob

| Robert E. Bruccoleri, Ph.D.      | Phone: 609 737 6383                |
| President, Congenomics, Inc.     | Fax:   609 737 7528                |
| 114 W Franklin Ave, Suite K1,4,5 | email: bruc@acm.org                |
| P.O. Box 314                     | URL:   http://www.congen.com/~bruc |
| Pennington, NJ 08534             |                                    |