Re: Birthday search.

От Jason Earl
Тема Re: Birthday search.
Дата
Список pgsql-sql
Here's an example of something that works with some of
the data that I have lying around.  Replace exit_dt
with "birthday" (or whatever you have named the field
that holds the birthday information) and replace
ticket_no with name (or whatever) and you should be on
the right track.

SELECT exit_dt, ticket_no FROM tscales       WHERE (        date_part('month', exit_dt) > 4 AND  date_part('month',
exit_dt)< 12)  OR (   date_part('month', exit_dt) = 4 AND    date_part('day', exit_dt) >= 15   )  OR (
date_part('month',exit_dt) = 12 AND    date_part('day', exit_dt) <= 20)      ORDER BY exit_dt;

I don't consider myself enough of a SQL guru to know
if this is the "correct" way to do this, but this
query selects some 21000 records out of a 120000
record table on my desktop test machine (PII 400 96M
Ram standard IDE hard drive running Linux) without any
indexes on exit_dt in a couple of seconds.

For more information check out the user guide section
on date/time functions.  It is quite interesting.  The
extract function would have served as well, but it
requires more typing.

Jason