Re: postgresql & Debian

От Oliver Elphick
Тема Re: postgresql & Debian
Дата
Список pgsql-novice
"Paolo Sinigaglia" wrote:
  >Hi there,
  >I'll begin admitting I'm quite a novice **both** in pgSQL and Linux OS. :)
  >
  >Besides that, I tried to install PG on my Debian (Potato) GNU/Linux PC
  >(x386) and, after very little troubles, worked fine.
  >
  >When I tried to create a table with a foreign key, I found F-keys are not
  >implemented in PG 6.5.3 but only in 7.x. Good. Download the source. Make &
  >Install. At last it worked.
  >
  >Now I have a postgreSQL 7.0.2 up and running, but I can't create the
  >language PL/PERL due to the fact that libperl is not a shared library.
  >
  >I have been discouraged regarding the obvious solution of recompiling the
  >perl library by a friend who told me that doing so I'll probably crash the
  >system, but I can't see any way to solve this problem.
  >
  >Now the questions:
  >
  >Is it true? Is it really (so) dangerous to recompile libperl as a shared
  >libary?
  >Is there another way to have PG using PL/PERL?
  >Is it possible havig two libperl installed (shared and static) at the same
  >time?
  >Any smarter idea?

olly@linda$ dlocate libperl.so
libperl5.6: /usr/lib/libperl.so.5.6.0
libperl5.6: /usr/lib/libperl.so.5.6
olly@linda$ dpkg -l libperl5.6
ii  libperl5.6     5.6.0-20       Shared Perl library.

You can presumably build this package from source as well.

     "Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden,
      and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and
      learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart; and ye
      shall find rest unto your souls."
                                 Matthew 11:28,29