Re: Performance monitor

От Karl DeBisschop
Тема Re: Performance monitor
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 2001.03.07 22:06 Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > I think Bruce wants per-backend data, and this approach would seem to
> only
> > get the data for the current backend.
> >
> > Also, I really don't like the proposal to write files to /tmp. If we
> want a
> > perf tool, then we need to have something like 'top', which will
> > continuously update. With 40 backends, the idea of writing 40 file to
> /tmp
> > every second seems a little excessive to me.
>
> My idea was to use 'ps' to gather most of the information, and just use
> the internal stats when someone clicked on a backend and wanted more
> information.

My own experience is that parsing ps can be difficult if you want to be
portable and want more than basic information. Quite clearly, I could just
be dense, but if it helps, you can look at the configure.in in the CVS tree
at http://sourceforge.net/projects/netsaintplug (GPL, sorry. But if you
find anything worthwhile, and borrowing concepts results in similar code, I
won't complain).

I wouldn't be at all surprised if you found a better approach - my
configuration above, to my mind at least, is not pretty. I hope you do find
a better approach - I know I'll be peeking at your code to see.

--
Karl