Re: PostgreSQL packages for Debian potato

От will trillich
Тема Re: PostgreSQL packages for Debian potato
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Wed, Feb 28, 2001 at 02:59:26PM +0200, Alessio Bragadini wrote:
> [Sorry for the late reply]
>
> Doug McNaught wrote:
>
> > What's wrong with getting the source debs for 7.0.x and building them
> > on your Potato system?
>
> Well, nothing per se, but first, personally I have little or no
> experience to adapt a woody package to the potato structure, even if I
> believe there is no much to do in 7.0.2->7.0.3. Yes, I am lazy and I
> wanted to back up on some other people's work. :-)
>
> More important, I wanted a general overview of the problem of "tracking
> updated PostgreSQL packages while running Debian stable" because I
> believe this can become quite a problem. Hopefully 7.1 will be out in a
> few weeks, but in meantime Debian proposes 6.5.3 and woody won't become
> stable for quite some months - and I am not even sure it will include
> 7.1. I wanted to know what is in the plans of other people who like to
> run an updated version of PostgreSQL and in the meantime not to break
> Debian system.

hi, fellow debianmonger... :)

you may already know, but in case you don't, here's a
sources.list line for the 7.0.3 version of postgresql that's
potato-friendly:

    # postgresql 7.* -- for potato?
    deb http://www.samfundet.no/~tfheen/debian potato main

then

    apt-get update && apt-get upgrade

or, for completeness,

    % apt-get install postgresql-pl postgresql-dev
    % perl -MCPAN -e shell
    cpan> install DBD::Pg
    cpan> look DBD::Pg
    % setenv POSTGRESQL_LIB /usr/lib/postgresql/lib
    % setenv POSTGRESQL_INCLUDE /usr/include/postgresql
    % perl Makefile.PL
    % make
    % make install
    % ^D
    cpan> q
    %

you'll need to recompile DBD::Pg with the new postgresql-dev
headers so perl's $dbh=DBI->connect("dbi:Pg:dbname=something")
will work again.

i originally jumped on board 7.0.3potato because of the embedded
perl but it's not actually present; however, rules and triggers
and a host of other nice features make the jump worthwhile.
and built-in perl will show up soon, i'm confident.

just make SURE you get a healthy schema/data dump first, tho... :)

--
It is always hazardous to ask "Why?" in science, but it is often
interesting to do so just the same.

will@serensoft.com