Re: Can PostgreSQL be a mail backend?

От Frank Joerdens
Тема Re: Can PostgreSQL be a mail backend?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Tue, Feb 27, 2001 at 03:49:25PM +0100, Morten W. Petersen wrote:
> Hi people,
>
> I'm wondering if postgres could be capable of acting as a
> mail storage.  This would imply storing messages, from
> 1KB to > 100MB in size.  The expected volume is 4000
> messages a day, and the database may store up to,
> lets say, 500000 messages.
>
> Could postgres cope with this?  (How is the support for
> big data fields now BTW?)

I don't see why it shouldn't work, since 7.1 supports an unlimited row
width. The question is: Why would you want to do that? A filesystem is
always faster than a database, which is usually a very important
consideration with a mailserver (or were you thinking about archiving
messages?).

Regards, Frank