...lame use of casting, looking for workaround...

От Adam Haberlach
Тема ...lame use of casting, looking for workaround...
Дата
Список pgsql-general
    One of the rocket scientests working on this project has
created a system in which /either/ a description or a build
number is stored in a text field.  He has been writing reports
that use CAST AS('description', int4) to convert the field into
either 0 or a number.  It looks like 7.1beta4 doesn't like this
silly hack, since I get pg_atoi errors when the query hits
anything that doesn't consist entirely of a number (and rightly
so).

    I'm looking for a workaround that will let him do his
"conversion" transparently: some form of atoi that will return
0 if it finds no numbers instead of blowing up.  Anyone got
one?

--
Adam Haberlach            | All your base are belong to us.
adam@newsnipple.com       |