Re: ALTER DROP COLUMN

От Brent R. Matzelle
Тема Re: ALTER DROP COLUMN
Дата
Список pgsql-general
--- Fred Yankowski <fred@ontosys.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 13, 2001 at 06:40:30AM -0800, Brent R. Matzelle
> wrote:
> > You might also try dumping the database, dropping and
> > re-creating the database, and then hacking the dump to add,
> > delete, alter columns.  That way the original structure
> should
> > remain intact.
>
> I find that the dump output is a pain to work with.
> Information that
> was concise when first defined ("id_stuff serial primary key")
> appears
> in least common denominator form as separate indexes,
> sequences,
> constraints, etc.  And if I'm deleting a column, do I have to
> write
> Perl scripts or the like to strip out the obsolete column data
> from
> the "COPY ... FROM" sections?  What a PITA.

Hey, you don't have to tell me that it's a pain.  I was just
giving you another way to do the same thing.

<snip>

> [I just got dizzy and fell off my high horse.  Oww...]

Everyone has to rant once and a while ;)  Anyway, there is hope
in all of this.  The PostgreSQL development team could build
support for it in some newer versions.  And it's open source so
even you could hack the functionality it if you want.  Hey, I'd
do it myself if I had the time and motivation.  In the meantime
we'll just have to wait I guess.

Brent