Re: Re: Re: PostgreSQL over NFS?

От Alfred Perlstein
Тема Re: Re: Re: PostgreSQL over NFS?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
* tc lewis <tcl@bunzy.net> [010209 17:08] wrote:

> > > how's that?  storage arrays will require you to use a filesystem that your
> > > operating system supports.  or do some storage array companies provide
> > > their own filesystems and drivers for misc systems?  same thing i guess.
> >
> > It has a persistant write cache, meaning it can ACK a write as being
> > sync'd to disk even if it's only been copied into the RAID's memory
> > cache (because it's persistant).  Same thing that netapp does.
> >

> hmm, i suppose.  i guess the filesystem wouldn't need to understand the
> logic of the underlying device.  not sure.  i don't think i've ever been
> presented with a storage array that does what you're saying (not saying
> they don't exist).

All it does is present itself as a disk that super fast at writing
as long as the cache doesn't fill up.  I have an older card:

amr0: <AMI MegaRAID> port 0x1080-0x10ff irq 18 at device 11.0 on pci0
amr0: firmware UF80 bios 1.61  128MB memory

That has a slot for battery backup of the RAID cache.  If the
machine was to reboot, the raid would sync the cached data to
disk sometime after coming back up.