Re: trying to back up a database

От Adam Haberlach
Тема Re: trying to back up a database
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Wed, Jan 31, 2001 at 11:27:18PM +0000, Oliver Elphick wrote:
> Adam Haberlach wrote:
>   >        I'm trying to back up a database, including the user records.  If
>   >I use pg_dump, I can get the table, but I cannot seem to be the user
>   >information.
>
> pg_dump -d database >dump
>
> should copy the database schema and all data records into dump.
>
>   >        If I use pg_dumpall, it seems to have trouble connecting to various
>   >databases (in fact, it attempts to connect even if I merely want the
>   >help page).
>
> I don't know what you mean by the last bit.  Are you saying that `man
> pg_dumpall'
> runs pg_dumpall?

    Sorry--I mean that when I type "pg_dumpall -h, it connects", but I guess
that is because it is a simple script.

> pg_dumpall must be run by postgres, it may well have problems if you
> are running it as an unprivileged user.

Aha.  That may be my problem, then.

[adam@pinko docs]$ pg_dumpall valhalla -u -s > dbschema.sql
Password: psql: Password authentication failed for user 'adam'
Password: psql: Password authentication failed for user 'adam'
Password: psql: Password authentication failed for user 'adam'
Password: Password: psql: Password authentication failed for user 'adam'
Connection to database 'valhalla' failed.
fe_sendauth: no password supplied

--
Adam Haberlach            |A cat spends her life conflicted between a
adam@newsnipple.com       |deep, passionate, and profound desire for